I’ve made this recipe more times than I can count because it’s so delicious and easy, so I actually have this one perfected! My recipe is a modification of Technically Paleo’s recipe, and because I only have a terrible picture of my finished recipe, the picture to the right is from his post. He did this a little differently than I do, because he uses and crock pot and then makes the sauce separately. I do mine in the oven, and just throw everything in the same pot; the sauce sort of creates itself that way! This is a low-FODMAP recipe, although before going low-FODMAP I added garlic powder to this. If you are not low FODMAP, definitely add a teaspoon or two of garlic powder to this recipe! It’s still great without it though (:
- one pork shoulder (mine are usually about 3.7 lb)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp each: nutmeg, mustard, cinnamon, white pepper
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp sage
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup prepared mustard (if you’re hard core low-FODMAP, make sure your mustard doesn’t have garlic in it!)
- 20 oz frozen strawberries
- 1 tbsp molasses (if you want to make this Whole30 compliant, leave this out)
- Toss everything in a dutch oven or other oven-safe vessel with a lid, and stick it in a 350 degree oven for about 3 hours. If the meat isn’t shred-able by then, pull apart what you can and then stick it back in the oven.
- Take out of the oven and use tongs to shred the meat (I don’t take it out of the pot to do this). Turn off the oven, mix everything together and pop back in the oven for 20-30 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Take out of the oven and use tongs to remove the bone (if there is one) and any massive chunks of fat that you don’t want in there.
- Stir once more, and enjoy!